Kevin Ryan (moderator of panel)
I like to call this "the panel for my mom, cuz she's still waiting for me to get a real job". This is a group of entrepreneurs who've come together to tell you the ups and downs of being a search marketer.
Dave Davies (CEO Beanstalk)
- Hire a great lawyer and an accountant, lawyers help you make sure the contracts are air tight.
- Stick to your strength, pick your strongest skill and be excellent.
- Take Care During Growth, only hire what you need, not what you want
- Watch your stats, and keep researching your market position
- Don't be over optimistic
- Don't try to do everything
- Hire Friends
- Rest on your laurels, they will get crushed
#1 Tip - Love What You Do!
David Wallace (CEO SearchRank)
Dave is presenting from the viewpoint of first doing SEO for his own sites, then offering it to others.
Today there's many ways to learn about search marketing:
- Free Resources - guides, blogs, etc.
- Online Courses
- Choose your niche - something that interests you but not highly competitive
- Secure a Domain Name
- Establish Web Site - Design yourself, hire a designer or use a template
Networking & Branding
- Develop Business Partnerships
- Network Online With Search Marketers
- Network in "Real Life" with Everyone
- Write Articles
- Participate in Forums
- Participate in Social Media
- Establish a Blog
Not To Do's
- Don't spam forums and blog comments
- Don't steal other's content or sales copy
- Don't come off as a know it all
- Don't promise what you can't deliver
- No matter what color hat you wear, don't be unethical in your business practices.
Nicole St. Martin (Hot Gigs Jobs to Web)
- No college degree is required
- A Lot of Employment Flexibility
- Salaries are Lucrative
- Skill are Portable & Global
Great Time to be a Search Marketers
- "War for Talent"
- There's no new graduate pool
What skills are Needed
- Technical skills are needed
- Soft skills are just as important
Where Do I Learn?
- HighRankings, Search Engine Watch, Search Engine Land, Search Marketing Standard, Top Rank, Online Marketing Blog
Never be afraid to around yourself with people who know more than you
David Hoffman - (Search Smart Marketing)
Five Rules for Dating My Client (Partnering with Agencies, Web Developers, PR Firms & others)
Sign a PreNup (sign an NDA)
- Mutual Non-disclosure agreements should protect both parties
- Put agency's mind at ease
- Make sure you READ before you sign
Don't Disrespect the Family
- Meet deadlines
- Live up to their standards
- Establish guidelines for client contact
Earn Their Trust
- Exceed expectations
- Provide education: lunchtime seminars, pertinent articles
- Don't "nickel & dime" make sure things are priced out and set early on
Be Discreet About Dating Others
- Working with multiple agencies can become dicey
- Avoid client conflicts
- Be wary of exclusivity
Keep Everyone Happy
- Make sure it's worth their while
- Make sure it's worth it's worth your while